Fly fishing is a complex sport and it can take many years of experience to become proficient and confident. The learning process can be accelerated with fly fishing
tuition and instruction from a suitably Qualified Fly Fishing Instructor. Fly fishing instruction not only helps you learn faster, but more importantly, you will learn the correct techniques and therefore not slip into bad habits right from the start. I provide fly fishing lessons and tuition in all aspects of fly fishing and fly casting and I have listed below many of the areas where you might feel you could do with some instruction. This list is not exhaustive and if you feel that you want to receive fly fishing tuition in something not listed please contact me to discuss your requirements.
All fly fishing lessons and courses take place in the Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire, on the river or at a local stillwater. You may have your own favourite piece of water that you wish to use for fly fishing instruction in the Yorkshire Dales and I am happy to visit you to give advice and tuition. All fly fishing tuition is given on a one to one basis. I prefer to work this way so that I can give you my full and undivided attention. This will give you the best chance of success and give me more time to teach you the art of fly fishing and fly casting. However, if you want to bring along a friend or relative you are welcome to do so. Fly fishing instruction can last from 2 hours to a full day or longer, it's your choice. If you want more general fly fishing tuition you might want to consider one of my fly fishing courses.
Fishing Gift Certificates can be used for all fly fishing tuition - Is your friend or relative struggling with certain aspects of their fly fishing or fly casting? Why not treat them to a few hours of fly fishing instruction?
- Fly fishing instruction in all aspects of fly fishing.
- Single handed fly casting lessons - cast better, cast further, cast more accurately, lose those bad flycasting habits, learn new fly casting skills including, the double haul, Spey casts and snake roll. Improve your fly casting technique by improving your foundation casts: the overhead cast and roll cast. Learn to cast better in wind.
- River fly fishing tuition - convert from stillwater fly fishing. Instruction in fly line management on rivers, river fly fishing techniques including, upstream dry fly fishing, downstream dry fly fishing, upstream nymph, Czech nymphing, Euro nymphing/French leader, wet fly fishing (north country spider fishing), duo and trio methods.
Basically anything and everything to do with river fly fishing.
- Czech nymphing - spend some time learning to fish the deadly Czech nymph (or bugging). You'll be amazed at its effectiveness and the places where you can
catch trout and grayling. In addition to Czech nymphing practically you will learn about the flies used, suitable tackle, leader make-up, rivercraft, detecting the take and minor tactics of Czech nymphing. Read what some of my guests had to say about Czech nymphing.
- Stillwater fly fishing tuition - do others always catch more fish? Successful stillwater fly fishing depends on many things, not least good fly casting ability, but also being able to use many different fly fishing techniques and adapting them to the conditions. I can teach you to fish with dry flies, emergers, nymphs (including indicator fishing, or the 'bung' as it is also known), wet flies and lures to improve your catch rate. Learn how to 'read' a stillwater to help your decision where and how to fish.
Pre-Learning & Reference Resource
All clients are given private access to my "Pre-learning & Reference" website following fly fishing tuition, lessons and guiding. This is a website designed and written by me for the exclusive use of my clients as a future proof point of reference. It includes sections on all aspects of single handed flyfishing for trout and grayling, from absolute basics of buying and setting-up tackle, casting, fishing techniques, knots, etc. and progressively covers more in-depth subjects such as more advanced casting, entomology, fly selection, etc. There are pictures, diagrams and videos to aid the learning process. This is a valuable source of information for any fly-fisher which has been well received by former clients; comments include...
Stuart, that's brilliant
I have had a chance to look at the website and I only have positive feedback. It is excellent, well-written, comprehensive and easy to understand with useful diagrams. I can't praise you highly enough for producing it and will be looked at again and again.
Just to say that I have surfed your new resource and would like to compliment you for the clarity with which everything has been presented and the generosity with which it is available to your clients for reference etc.
I've had a good read through it and I have to say that I think you have nailed it - the various sections are easy to read and seem to go into things with just enough depth without 'blinding with science' especially the entomology - just enough to give an insight into the subject and maybe encouraging further reading but enough to be confident enough to choose a fly pattern to suit. The section on fly patterns - positions on leaders and what to expect to find month by month is again enough to give 'confidence' and that really is the aim so the angler feels he is 'doing it right'.
You should put all of this into a book, it is really very good!