The Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire, England, are a special place with magnificent scenery, rich wildlife habitats and fantastic fly fishing. We have many fast flowing rivers and streams, and upland lakes. The Yorkshire Dales rivers flow through limestone rock, which raises the pH value, providing the perfect habitat for invertebrates and the brown trout and grayling which feed upon them. This mix of abundant fly life, and good stocks of brown trout and grayling, make the Yorkshire Dales rivers perfect for fly fishing.
The Yorkshire Dales also have many fine lakes, including the world renowned Malham Tarn, home to fast growing, specimen Wild Brown Trout. Other lakes in the Dales provide typical upland trout fishing for both wild brown trout and stocked rainbow trout.
The Yorkshire Dales are the perfect location to learn the gentle art of fly fishing for trout and grayling. River fishing is centred around the River Wharfe, but we have many other rivers in this beautiful area that we fish, including, River Nidd, River Ure, River Ribble, River Swale, River Tees, and the smaller rivers Skirfare, Cover, Bain, Doe and Twiss. These rivers are limestone rich and all contain good stocks of wild brown trout that rise freely to the vast array of natural flies on offer. Many of the Yorkshire Dales rivers contain Grayling, however, numbers are far from what they used to be. For more information on these fine rivers, including day tickets, please see the relevant pages.
The Yorkshire Dales are within easy reach of Leeds, Bradford, York, Harrogate, Lancashire, Cumbria, South Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, North-East England, Greater Manchester and Manchester Airport. Leeds and Bradford Airport is only a very short distance away, bringing fly fishing in the Yorkshire Dales within easy reach of many other areas and countries.
Stuart Minnikin - Yorkshire Dales Fishing
Renowned nationally as the premier flyfishing guide in the Yorkshire Dales, I
have access to some of the very best fly fishing in the area, including many
private or little know stretches of rivers and smaller streams. Surprisingly,
though, some of the very best fishing in the Yorkshire Dales is not private -
you just need to know where and when to go, and how to access and approach them.
This is something which you can't shortcut, but having been born and brought-up
in the Dales there is no one better to guide and advise you. A look through the
images on my
Smugmug Gallery will show you the places where I guide, and, more importantly, the number of clients I actually take to these places - not something you will see on other guides websites!
Why Book With Me?
- Member of Hardy ProTeam - "The Hardy ProTeam is made up from arguably the finest instructors and fisherman in the whole of the UK & Ireland, ranging from world casting champions to international anglers." That is how Hardy describes its ProTeam and in my opinion this is the ultimate accolade, to have one's skills and experience recognised by the world's best tackle company with just 8 other top UK anglers! Read more...
- APGAI Qualified (Advanced Professional Game Angling Instructor) - APGAI is highest recognised instructor qualification in the UK and it is held in high regard throughout the world. To attain the APGAI qualification you need to
demonstrate to the assessors that you have previous experience as a qualified instructor, can demonstrate and teach every cast perfectly without faults, that you can recognise casting faults and rectify them.
- L2CCA Qualified (Level 2 Certificate to Coach Angling) - the basic qualification required to teach fly fishing and fly casting in the UK, which I used as a stepping stone to getting my APGAI qualification.
- Former England International - I was selected for the 2004 England Rivers Team, gaining a silver medal in the Home International. One of very few anglers who have ever been capped for England and qualified as an instructor at advanced (APGAI) level. There is no other fly fishing guide in the Yorkshire Dales who has ever fished for their country!
- Born and Brought-up in the Yorkshire Dales - in Skipton, I served my fly fishing 'apprenticeship' on the rivers and lakes of the Yorkshire Dales. Fishing as often as I could, travelling widely across the Dales, I eventually reached the pinnacle of fly
fishing by winning a place in the England Rivers Team on my home river - the River Wharfe. There is no other guide in the Yorkshire Dales can say that!
- Worldwide Fly Fishing Experience - having fished and guided other anglers throughout the UK, Croatia, Slovenia, Spain, Poland, Chile, Mexico, Kenya and the Bahamas for a variety of species. Look through my Smugmug Gallery to see images of these places.
- Member of GAIA (Game Angling Instructors Association) - formed in 1967 to establish and maintain standards of excellence in the field of Game Angling Instruction. See below for more info...
- Licensed Fly Fishing Instructor - which guarantees that I meet certain standards, particularly in training, qualification, CRB vetting and "Safeguarding and Protecting Children".
- Fully Insured - for your peace of mind.
- First Aid Trained - certified to above Health and Safety at Work standard.